
Looking back, I can remember days as a kid when I was bored. It didn't happen very often, but there were days when I would whine to my mom about how I didn't have anything to do.
It amazes me that my mom didn't smack me, right then and there.
Fortunately, my mom is a wonderful, loving and creative mom (who put up with our crap), and I remember her going through a list of things I could do to save me from my boredom.
Fast forward 20 or so years, and even I want to slap myself. Bored?!? Are you kidding me? What I wouldn't give for a few hours of "nothing" to do - no cleaning, no cooking, no errands to run, etc. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my busy life.... but I vaguely recall those days, before we had kids, where we would sleep in until 11am each Saturday, have a leisurely lunch out, watch nothing in particular on TV... basically do nothing all day.
So, that is where the title of my blog comes from. In particular, it's a line from one of the funniest comedies out there: "Office Space." ("It's not just about me and my dream of doing nothing...")
I'm sure one day when the kids hit puberty and won't talk to us we'll have days when there's nothing to do once again.. but until then, I'm soaking up each and every busy, hectic day and, thru this bog, trying to record some of our daily happenings. Who knows - perhaps in 25 years, Houston and I will relive these moments that people tell us "go by so quickly" by reading these journals... hopefully, we'll do so after sleeping in until noon and watching 3 hours of television!
1 comment:
When I was leading youth group I thought these very same thoughts as the teenagers complained about being bored. Being bored is such a luxury! I try to set aside some time in my day just for being bored. It's quite refreshing. But probably easier for me since I'm not a mom!
Post a Comment